Hitachi wanted to discontinue the device in 2013 because the Hitachi Magic Wand was so well known as a sex toy that they were afraid of it sullying the Hitachi brand. Their American distributor Vibratex persuaded Hitachi to continue making the magic wand massager (after all it was the best selling sex toy in the world!) but the “Hitachi Magic Wand” name was removed, and it has ever since been known as the Magic Wand Original. The Model number is now HV-260 and that is what you will be looking for.
Magic Wand Original Pros and Cons
The Hitachi Magic Wand isn’t for everyone. This is a high-quality, powerful vibrator that definitely has some drawbacks.
- Legendary Power that runs all night! (OK 25 minutes on, 30 minutes cool down, 25 minutes on, 30 minutes cool down… repeat as desired!) The big difference here is that it plugs into the wall instead of using a battery. Also — no batteries to buy!
- Solid shiny plastic material and vinyl head are durable. This should be a long term investment.
- Easy to clean with just soap and water
- Can use any type of lube including superior silicone lubes that can’t be used with silicone toys
- Low price for this power. The market is fairly competitive with lots of dealers. Most toe the line on pricing and are forbidden from advertising discounted pricing (one of the ways you can spot fakes). Fortunately I have negotiated some exclusive special discounts for visitors to this site that will let you grab an authentic Magic Wand Original at a discounted price.
- ORGASMS GALORE! Even for women who have never had an orgasm or find it difficult.
- Plausible Deniability. Vibrator? No I need it for my back / shoulders/ neck. 🙂
- Also works on your back / shoulders / neck and anywhere else you might have muscle pain.
- Tons and Tons of satisfied owners.
- Can only be used in North America. The motor on the Magic Wand Original is not designed to run on anything other than North American voltage and it is dangerous to use adapters even though lots of people seem to want to sell them to you. Try out the Doxy Wand or the Lelo Smart Wand if you want a powerful wand but live outside of North America. Lovehoney has a good selection of Magic Wand alternatives across a variety of price points.
- It plugs in so it is NOT WATERPROOF. Don’t even think of using this in the shower or bath. You’ll kill the massager and yourself. The Lelo Smart Wand is a rechargeable waterproof alternative.
- It has a cord that can get in the way — See the Magic Wand Rechargeable which has become a top seller for the cordless crowd.
- A bit loud — with all that power comes a bit of a whine but on the bright side it’s pretty high-pitched and doesn’t travel through walls easily. However, you might want to look elsewhere if you live with your mother-in-law or a roommate… and you embarrass easily. Of course, you can always claim to be using it on your sore muscles.
- The vibrations are high-frequency. This can be good or bad depending on your preference. Some people prefer a low, rumbly vibration and would prefer the Lelo Smart wand over the Hitachi Magic Wand. That is just personal preference.
- Heavy. The Magic Wand Original is a durable beast that weighs in at 1.2 pounds. Is that a problem for you? Maybe, maybe not.
- The Fakes Problem. Just make sure you buy from a trusted, authorized dealer. Avoid ebay and amazon where you’re playing Russian roulette with Fakes. And remember — if you see an ad promising a discounted Magic Wand — 99 times out of 100 it is going to be a knock-off. Don’t be fooled.